one– The sound that occurs during sleep, especially during breathing, due to the narrowing of the upper respiratory tract is called snoring.
2– In cases where the air flow is blocked behind the nose and mouth, that loud sound of snoring occurs.
Snoring and Its Treatment
1 – The sound that occurs during sleep, especially during breathing, due to the narrowing of the upper respiratory tract. snoreis called.
2 – In cases where the air flow is blocked behind the nose and mouth, that loud sound of snoring occurs.
Among the most important reasons;
– Large or drooping uvula (small tongue)
– The drooping and width of the soft palate with increasing age
– Makroglassi (Large tongue, big tongue)
– Growth at the root of the tongue
– Large tonsils and adenoids
– Nasal bone curvature, swelling of the nasal flesh
– Narrowing of the air passage in allergic people, etc…. countable.
3 – Snoring disrupts the sleep pattern of the person. It gives much more damage to the people next to it or to the people in the room. Snoring can start with simple snoring and go up to obstructive sleep apnea (stopping breathing during sleep, holding breath).
– Sleeping in the morning tired, with a headache (waking up as if beaten).
– Daytime fatigue, tendency to sleep
– Dry in the throat, sour taste
– Forgetfulness, lack of attention, concentration disorder, irritability, depression, decrease in sexual activity, reluctance
– Night sweats in some patients
– Frequent waking
– Frequent urination at night (toilet need) in some patients
Snoring can lead to life-threatening effects, starting from the effects that impair the quality of life of the person.
4 – Although patients from all age groups (children, youth, middle and advanced age) apply to our clinic for snoring and sleep apnea, people of middle age and above and overweight are naturally in the first place. (more often between 35 years and 50 years old)
It is known that 20% of men and 5% of women snores between the ages of 5 and 30. This rate rises to 60% in men and 40% in women at the age of 60’s.
Snoring is seen 3 times more in obese people than in thin people. In the world, snoring is seen 3-8 times more in men than in women. In the applications made to our clinic, the male to female ratio is 6/1.
6 – The biggest complaints of our women about snoring are that men are not as understanding and tolerant as they are, and they immediately reserve the opportunity to sleep, citing their intense work schedule.
Of course, for a young and middle-aged lady, this situation is image-damaging, demoralizing and causes little loss of confidence.
7 – In treatment; Medical treatment (Some drugs that are claimed to harden and shrink the soft palate.)
Devices ; Mouth and jaw prostheses, stimulant appliances when snoring, nasal opening drugs (appliances) applied to the nose
CPAP; It is the most commonly used method in non-surgical options. (Continue positive air pressor) Compressed air is given to the patient with the help of a machine through the nose. It is the most effective method in sleep apnea. (In moderate and advanced apneas). However, there are differences in practical applications (especially in patient compliance, especially in young patients).
Surgical treatment ;It is the removal of the tonsils, adenoids, suspending the soft palate, reduction of the uvula, correction of the nasal bone curvature, pulling the chin and large tongue forward by various methods, cutting a part of the tongue or reducing the volume.
The methods that have come to the fore in recent years are stick application to the soft palate and radiofrequency surgery. Very good results are obtained in suitable cases. The most important advantage of radiofrequency surgery is that it can be performed under office conditions. Post-operative pain is minimal, there is no loss of work, it does not damage the oral mucosa.
8 – First of all, losing weight, regular exercise for both volume reduction in the throat tissues and a strong muscle structure, avoiding drugs that can harm breathing (sleeping drugs, tranquilizers, antihistamine drugs).
– Avoiding alcohol-containing drinks or not taking them too late.
– Avoiding excessive fatigue
– Eating as little light and early as possible in the evening (Drinking food should be finished 3 hours before going to sleep.)
– lying down
– Raising the head of your pillow from the waist
– Although nasal appliances sold in pharmacies are partially beneficial, this is only effective in patients whose snoring originates from the nose. In addition, it is not comfortable at all to sleep with an appliance in the nose.
What is Radiofrequency?
Sleep Apnea Syndrome