Shoulder dislocation treatment

The shoulder joint is the largest moving joint in the human body. It is one of the most commonly dislocated joints. Although there are different causes of shoulder dislocations, trauma-related shoulder dislocation is the most common.

Traumatic shoulder dislocations are divided into 2 groups according to the direction of the dislocation as anteriorly and posteriorly. 96% of all shoulder dislocations consist of anterior dislocations

The first shoulder dislocation is usually seen at a young age. Treatment of a patient with shoulder dislocation for the first time does not require surgery. After the closed joint is placed in place, it is sufficient to use an arm sling for three weeks for healing to occur. However, the situation is different for athletes.

Every athlete wants to return to sports as soon as possible. Surgical treatment may be a better option to achieve this.

If the age of first occurrence of shoulder dislocation is younger than 20, the probability of recurrence of shoulder dislocation in this patient is 90%. However, if the first shoulder dislocation is over the age of 40, the probability of recurrence of shoulder dislocation drops to 10%.

When shoulder dislocation occurs after trauma, the structure called the capsule that holds the shoulder joint in place is torn. The head of the shoulder comes out of the joint from this torn area, this is called “BANKART LESION”.

Along with shoulder dislocation, other structures may be damaged. The repair of all this damage can be closed with the arthroscopic method. In very special cases, open surgery may be required.

In recurrent shoulder dislocations, sometimes the joint can be dislocated without a tear due to capsule laxity. In such cases, the strengthening of the structures around the shoulder with Fibzik treatment methods should be tried first.

Injured structures after shoulder dislocation can usually be seen with standard shoulder MRI performed in the early period. However, after recurrent dislocations, sometimes an MRI performed by injecting drugs into the joint called Arthro MR may be required.

Shoulder dislocation is often associated with a BANKART lesion. This can be repaired Arthroscopically (Closed surgery).

After the surgery, the patient’s arm is kept in an arm sling for 6 weeks for the healing of the sutured structures. After 6 weeks, the arm sling is removed and physical therapy is started.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.