Many children resist not to go to bed even though it is time to sleep, and in many homes, there are unwanted arguments between parents and children almost every evening because of this. Another common problem is that the child sleeps in the parent’s bed even though the child has their own bed, especially sleeping with the mother or the mother going to the child’s bed and sleeping together.
It is known that especially a boy sleeping with his mother negatively affects his adult life. Sleep is a period of time when the individual is alone. For this reason, children should sleep alone in their own beds. Children can sleep in their own room from 2-3 months old.
Preparation for Sleep:
* Calm your child and slow down his movements before bedtime. Avoid fast-paced games, violence and horror movies.
* Do not pick up the playing child from his game and take him to bed. This makes it difficult to fall asleep. Let them know that it is time to sleep, starting 10-15 minutes before bedtime.
* One of the important factors affecting the transition to sleep is the emotional state of the child. Don’t yell, argue, or criticize before bed. A sad and anxious person has trouble sleeping.
* Listen to the fears of your child who says “I’m afraid”, accept them, show understanding, calm him down, but don’t let him come to you because of his fears and don’t sleep next to him.
Sleep patterns :
* Sleep pattern is a series of movements to be done every night before going to bed. Brushing teeth, putting on pajamas, saying “good night”, reading and sleeping in bed. If these stages last too long, it makes it difficult to go to sleep.
* Do not let him sleep by lying on his side, stroking his hair or touching you. Sleeping with skin contact makes it difficult for the child to be an independent individual from the mother. Instead, you can give him a toy he likes.
* If your child asks you to stay with them, tell them that you can stay with them for 10 minutes and then you will go inside. During this time, you can sit on a chair or on the floor next to his bed and read a book or chat with him. At the end of the time, go inside, try not to exceed the time you specified. Don’t let him insist you stay a little longer.
* If he wakes up at night and comes to you, take him back to bed. Sometimes this can happen several times a night. Do it the same way every time.