WHAT IS POLYCYSTIC OVER SYNDROME?
Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) is the most common hormonal and metabolic disorder in women.
– Its incidence is stated as 7-10% in the world. According to some studies, the incidence of PCOS in our country reaches up to 20%.
-PCOS basically has 3 effects:
1) Cosmetics: Acne (acne), increased hair growth on the body (especially on the face, chest and abdomen)
2) Reproductive system: Irregular or no menstrual periods, infertility, increased risk of uterine cancer
3) Metabolic: Predisposition to heart disease, atherosclerosis and diabetes due to changes in blood pressure, cholesterol and sugar metabolism
HOW IS POLYCYSTIC OVER SYNDROME DIAGNOSED?
The reason why PCOS is called a syndrome is that it is a condition that gives many symptoms.
-The exact cause is not known exactly. Decrease in the response of the ovaries to insulin hormone and genetic causes are the most known causes today.
1) Irregular or no periods
2) Hyperandrogenism (acne, hair growth, male pattern hair loss and weight gain, as an excessive response to this hormone in the body, although the blood level of the male hormone is high or the blood level is normal)
3) Absence of any other condition that can change hormone levels (pregnancy, thyroid, high prolactin, menopause, etc…)
The classic “polycystic ovary” appearance in the ovaries on ultrasonography is not essential for a definitive diagnosis. In 25% of women with PCOS, the ovaries can be seen as normal.
WHAT CAUSES POLYCYSTIC OVER SYNDROME?
-The exact cause of PCOS is unknown. Many factors seem to be associated with PCOS.
-The key factor in PCOS is “insulin resistance”. Insulin is the main hormone secreted from the pancreas that regulates sugar and fat metabolism. In short, insulin commands the cells to absorb sugar and fat from the blood. When there is resistance in the cells against insulin, the body produces more insulin in response to this resistance. This high level of insulin in the blood negatively affects the ovaries and disrupts the menstrual cycle. and cause weight gain.
WHAT IS THE TREATMENT OF POLYCYSTIC OVER SYNDROME?
-The treatment of PCOS should be tailored for each patient. The treatment includes lifestyle changes and drug treatments. Separate treatment approaches are applied in cases such as acne, increased hair growth, menstrual irregularity and the desire to become pregnant.
1)Healthy food: Not consuming foods that contain refined sugar (fast food, carbonated sugary drinks, sugary wafers, chocolate, etc.) and saturated fat (fast food, chips, frying, etc.). Include foods that reduce insulin resistance, such as cinnamon and flaxseed. To use nutritional supplements prepared from plants such as Sabal Fruit (Saw Palmetto), Hayıt Fruit (Vitex Agnus Castus), Stinging Nettle, Thistle, and which have positive effects on hormone metabolism and insulin resistance.
2) Sports: 30 minutes of brisk walking, aerobics, etc., at least once every 2 days during the week. sport…