The most talked about topic of 2020 is the coronavirus and pandemic process. The uncertainty in the coronavirus and quarantine process, the unknown when it will end, the lack of a complete treatment, and the uncertainty of how and from whom to meet cause intense panic and anxiety disorder in people.
What is Anxiety Disorder?
Anxiety disorder is a state of worry that we experience for no real reason. We also use the word anxiety in Turkish. Among the public, more than anxiety or anxiety; The words restlessness, worry, anxiety and distress are used.
They show features that are excessively anxious, tense that negatively affects daily life, always expecting the worst and afraid of not being able to control their life. Anxiety disorder is likely to be seen throughout life, and anxiety sensitivity increases with age.
What is a panic attack?
It is an anxiety disorder that occurs in unexpected situations and progresses with intense panic attacks that reach the highest level in a short time with the anxiety that something bad will happen at any moment. During attacks, intense fear, anxiety and distress are experienced. Panic attacks occur very suddenly, reach the highest level in about 10 minutes and last for about 20-30 minutes.
What Are the Symptoms of Panic Disorder and Anxiety Disorder?
People with anxiety disorders are generally known to be pessimistic, they know that their anxiety is excessive, they feel uncomfortable about it, but they cannot control it. They have trouble sleeping, they may even worry about not being able to fall asleep at night. The general state of anxiety causes them to feel tired and sluggish. They are extremely irritable, unhappy and cannot tolerate negativity.
As physical symptoms, there may be physical complaints such as not being able to breathe, feeling of tightness in the chest, muscle aches, nausea and hot flashes.
There are about 13 symptoms of a panic attack, you need to be experiencing 4 of the symptoms listed below for the diagnosis of panic attack.
Burst Chest Tightness
Shivering Skin burning, tingling
Feeling of Drowning Fear of Going Crazy
Numbness Hot Flashes
Fear of death Dizziness
Recommendations for Those Who Have Panic and Anxiety Disorder During the Coronavirus Process
1. Each person has different emotional and spiritual stamina, some people are more anxious, more sensitive and more fragile. People of this nature should follow the coronavirus news less. He should follow only reliable sources about the pandemic process and be careful against false information spread on social media.
2. In this period of staying at home and decreasing daily routines, new routines should be established. Social relations should be continued even online and new and healthy pleasures should be obtained.
3. Uncontrollable feelings and thoughts in panic and anxiety disorder tire the person. Trying to control thoughts is a common mistake. Trying not to think in order to deal with negative thoughts such as “what if I get sick” “what if I lose my mind” “what if my family is infected with a virus” is one of the wrong behaviors. It is important to know that thought is just thought.
4. During a panic attack, intense palpitations and shortness of breath can feel like having a heart attack, but it should not be forgotten that a panic attack is not a heart condition.
5. In moments of panic and anxiety, catastrophic thoughts come to mind, as if “he will lose his mind”, the person is afraid of going crazy. However, these ailments are not mental disorders. Fear of losing your mind is a disease!! And the two situations are very different from each other!!
6. During panic attacks and anxiety, intense symptoms are experienced in the body (as mentioned above). These symptoms increase as they focus on the body. Although it is sometimes suggested by experts to escape from this situation and turn your attention elsewhere, this method of escaping does not solve the problem, on the contrary, it causes the problem to grow even more. In other words, we can give an example as follows: “I should not think of a panic attack, I should not think of a panic attack” causes panic attacks to come to mind more.
7. Panic attacks and anxiety disorder may be a condition that you will have difficulty in overcoming without expert support. . If you are experiencing these ailments for the first time during the pandemic process, or if you have experienced them before and were triggered during the pandemic process, it would be beneficial to get support from a specialist.
Especially during the pandemic process, online psychotherapy is applied because it is risky to meet face to face.
Anxiety disorders such as generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder, obsessive compulsive disorder, social phobia should be studied gradually with the help and plan of a therapist. Avoidance, avoidance behaviors, constantly focusing on the body and trying not to think, which are used to cope with the disease without a therapist’s plan and help, can unfortunately cause more anxiety.