Inertia is not taking action for a state we want to reach; is a state of inactivity. It is one of the biggest obstacles to success. We know that no matter how big or colossal what we envision, if it is not combined with the movement, it cannot become reality. Action is an indispensable condition for dreams to come into being.
A smoker shows inertia by not taking the first step to quit because he is not aware of the harms of this to his body and psychology. If someone who is overweight is aware of this but does not take action to lose their weight, they are in inertia. A student with low academic success is aware that he needs to start working in order to be successful, but cannot take action; this student is in inertia.
As seen in the examples, inertia has 2 different forms of formation;
In the first, the person is not in a position to take a step because he is not aware of his deficiency and what he has to do for it.
In the second, the person is aware of the need to change and what he needs to do for this, but cannot take action.
Inertia is a serious obstacle that prevents people from living their potential and must be overcome.
Defeating it means taking the first step towards the situation we want to achieve and being able to continue it. Because sometimes we manage to take the first step, but the deterrents in our way prevent us from continuing to the end. If we can continue our actions as far as we want to reach, then we can say that we have prevailed against inertia.
We see many things we need to do in daily life, but leave it only in the thought phase. It is as if a hand is pulling us from behind, preventing us from taking any steps regarding the situation. So, what is this hand that prevents us from progressing, living a happier, more fulfilled life, and living a life that deserves our potential? Whose hand is it? This person is none other than ourselves! Because in fact, it is our habits that prevent us. There are connections (neuron networks) created by our learning in our brains. As we repeat a behavior, the signal of that connection gets stronger and pushes us to behave in the same way in similar situations. We can think of this signal as an electrical current between two ends. A student who does not have the habit of studying has developed a current of inertia, and this current gets stronger every time he shows inertia. When it starts to reverse the event, that is, when it starts to overcome inertia, this time the brain creates a new electrical current, and in the same way, the current starts to get stronger and the other inertia current that is not used begins to weaken. Eventually, the unused network goes out.
A Few Tips to Beat Inertia
Of course, there are games that our mind plays on us from time to time. But the most important antidote to this is awareness. Everything starts with thought. Thoughts determine how we feel (our emotions). Our feelings also play a role in deciding how to act; is the driving force. Therefore, in order to overcome inertia, we must first organize our minds according to the point we want to reach. This means:
• “Where is the point we want to reach?”
Being able to answer this question is the most important issue of our lives, because no wind can help a ship that does not know its destination. The clearer our goal, the higher our chances of success.
• It is necessary to connect the target with time, “How soon can I reach the desired target?” An answer to this question is sought with a realistic approach and a time is determined.
• “What are the advantages it will provide me when I reach my goal? How will I be feeling? How will the people around me treat me? We answer your questions. Here we allow our imagination to motivate us by predicting the pleasure we will get when we reach our goal. What we need to activate immediately in the deterrents that we will encounter on the way is the power of imagination here. We can make dream maps that will strengthen our imagination. By creating images related to our dreams on a board or cardboard, we can put together pictures and texts that we cut from sources such as magazines, newspapers, and the internet.
• We can identify a scent for our target; becomes the symbolic scent of our target. Or we can assign a piece of music on the way to reach it; accompanies us along the way. All of this becomes our supportive rituals to remind us of our goal when our motivation drops. The richer our imagination, the greater our chances of success. Having stimulants appealing to our 5 senses will make our job easier.
• We will need a roadmap as we move towards the goal. It is the planning phase of the steps we need to take. Ask ourselves, “What steps will get me to my goal? What do I need to achieve my goal?” we ask questions.
• During the implementation of the steps, action is taken as needed. But deterrents can still come our way, and they do.
• Sustainability; It is the state of continuing on the road without deviating from the goal. Our willingness is not always at the same level as we move forward in the process. We experience ups and downs. In these falls, our goal-oriented imaginations (item 3) will be our greatest savior.
If we explain these steps through an example case, I think we will provide a clearer explanation;
Let’s take Zeynep, who complains about her excess weight. She is aware of the weight she needs to lose, but she can’t take the first step. Atsa, too, quits the program halfway through without achieving the desired result. What should Zeynep do in this situation?
– How much does he want to weigh? At what weight will she feel comfortable and healthy both physically and psychologically? He decides this.
– How long does it take to reach this weight? Sets a realistic and feasible time.
– What will his body look like when he reaches the desired weight? How will she feel? What will be the reaction of those around you? What kind of clothes will he wear? What will happen to his health? He imagines all this. He adds pictures of women in the form he finds in magazines and the internet, the clothes he plans to buy, or his own pictures taken when he was fit in the past years, to his dream map. He always carries the music he has assigned for his goal with him and keeps his motivation alive by feeling the scent he has determined throughout the day.
– Zeynep determines her needs and the steps she should take to reach her goal. For example, he does research about staying fit, decides to work with a dietitian, creates a diet program suitable for him, makes shopping, determines the sports-exercise program to support him in this process, makes the necessary arrangements at home, etc.
– It starts to implement the steps that it has determined on the road map when appropriate.
– In the process, there will be situations that force his will. Refreshments made during guest visits, energy drops during the day, etc. At this point, Zeynep re-enters the state of feeling as if she has reached her goal by applying the supportive power of her imaginations. (item 3)
Giving Real Answers to Right Questions About Yourself
These items, of course, can be valid if we are aware of the deficiency in ourselves. If we are experiencing the first occurrence in inertia, that is, if we are in a situation where we cannot notice the deficiency in ourselves, we are experiencing a problem with our self-awareness and what we need to do to overcome inertia may be possible by honestly answering some questions about ourselves.
• Who am I? What roles do I have in life and how do these roles affect me?
• What do I like? What bothers me?
• In which environments will I be happy? Which ones do I have trouble with?
• What are my values and their place in my life?
• Am I aware of my strengths and weaknesses? What are their effects on my life?
• Do I recognize my abilities and interests? To what extent do I give them their due?
• How is my mood? What emotions do I experience in what situations? What happens to my behavior and consequences as a result?
Focusing and thinking about the answers to these questions, researching and observing is perhaps a good start. We can summarize what can be done as follows:
• We should invest in personal development, so we should incorporate thinking systems that will make us stronger.
• Meditation supports us in calming and clarifying the mind. With a clearer point of view, it prevents physiological and psychological energy losses; increases insight. Meditating consistently will support us mentally.
• We should do exercises that will develop the right and left brain, thus pushing the limits of personal potential.
• We should make observations about other people and use them as mirrors to develop our own awareness. For this, we should be in social environments and contact others frequently, and make determinations about their thinking and behavior.
All these introspections ensure that the transformation we experience is from the inside out, which is a preferred situation.
And of course, all application processes require effort and patience. However, seeing these as the price we pay on the way to gain ourselves and making this process valuable will be the right perspective for us to continue without falling into inertia.
You do not think so ?