Nose aesthetics (rhinoplasty)

Nose aesthetics (rhinoplasty) is a procedure that aims to make the nose both more breathable and more compatible with other aspects of the face. Rhinoplasty still continues to be the most performed procedure among all aesthetic surgery operations. The main reason for this is the indispensable place and function of the nose on the human face. Because the nose is in the middle of the face and with its vertical extension, it has undertaken the task of determining the axis of the face. Interpersonal communication is usually by eye-to-eye contact. The close neighborhood of the nose with the eyes causes an asymmetrical or inconsistent nose to be striking, the gaze to shift to the nose, or the perception that the eyes from the opposite are constantly focused on the nose in the person who has a complaint about the nose.

A definition such as ‘an ideal nose is 2.5 cm in width, 3 cm in depth and 5 cm in height’ can never be made. Because what determines the harmony of the nose with the face is not its dimensions, but its proportional values ​​with the other elements of the face. Starting from this point, values ​​such as the length, width, height of the nose, the angle it makes with the forehead and the angle it makes with the upper lip are defined proportionally for both sexes.

Rhinoplasty is an operation that results very well if done properly. During this surgery, problems such as septum deviation, turbinate hypertrophy, valve failure that prevent the patient from breathing are taken care of. The procedure is performed under general anesthesia and its average duration is 2 hours. You will almost never have any pain after the surgery and during the healing process. You stay in the hospital for one day. After discharge, your cast is changed on the 5th day and on the 10th-12th day. It is completely removed around the day.

‘How soon will I recover?’ I answer the question as follows; For the first 2 weeks, your nose is already under protection with a splint. In the first 3 weeks, you will get rid of 70-80% of the swelling in the nose. So week 3 is when you recover the image. Your nose has healed so much that it does not attract the attention of those around you, but you and your doctor know that it is still swollen. At the end of the first 3 months, your nose has regained 90-95% of its new shape. The remaining 5% takes its final form in the following 3 months, and this is usually the tip of the nose.

Finally, there are a few things I should mention. I prefer to write in clauses because they are unrelated to each other:

1- Nasal packing is used in every rhinoplasty surgery. Ads for surgery without tampons, blood or knives are just ‘ADVERTISEMENTS’. I prefer silicone tampons whenever possible. However, sometimes it is necessary to use conventional tampons. Because the tampons I put in are as much as the part of your little finger that you can put into the nose and there is no need to be afraid.

2- I gave information about the healing process of the nose. However, in the 3rd week or 2nd month, a disfigured nose should not be expected to improve because the recovery continues. A properly shaped nose may deteriorate during the healing process, but a deformed nose cannot be expected to improve.

3- As a general rule, the outcome of any procedure is not as successful as the surgical procedure. Therefore, I do not adopt ‘NULL’ methods that are pleasing to the patient, such as hanging with a rope and filling with some substances. I wouldn’t do it to my own wife!!!

4- I really do not know which patient’s face will swell and bruises will occur after the surgery. Because it’s a structural thing. However, my impression is that it is more common in white-skinned patients than in dark-skinned patients.

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.