In the past, children used to play in the streets from morning to night.
They biked, climbed trees, ran, jumped, jumped and enjoyed spending time with their friends. They had a bond with nature. Today, children have little or no opportunity to play this way.
As urbanization increased, playgrounds decreased, workplaces were built instead of playgrounds. Since the areas reserved for children are very limited and neglected, the children who could not find a place to play began to play in their homes. The voices of the children playing excitedly in the neighborhoods and in front of the doors became inaudible, the games and toys of our children changed, they became addicted to the virtual games they played alone.
”Open the Door Bezirgan’s Head”, ”Leapfrog”, ”Körebe”, ”Box and Box Pliers”, ”I Sell Oil, I Sell Honey”, ”Burning Cannon”, ”Long Donkey”, ”Top Pick”, ”Corner Grabber”, “Hide and Seek” Games such as “Jumping rope” were at the forefront of street games played in the past. Technological developments in recent years and the widespread use of the internet cause our children to move away from traditional games and to be exposed to games produced by different cultures and produced with different value codes.
Are Digital Games Totally Harmful?
In this age when technology has completely infiltrated our lives, our children are faced with digital applications as of early childhood. Television, computers, tablets and games are now an indispensable part of our lives, but how this will affect your children’s lives depends on your parents’ attention, control and attitudes. Follow the risks and threats brought by the use of technology.
There is research showing that some digital games are beneficial for children in the development of short-term memory, strategy making, quick decision making and problem solving. However; As the age gets older, it is possible to encounter problems such as skeletal and back-neck muscle problems, vision problems, hyperactivity disorder due to lack of energy, inadequacy in verbal expression, normalization of violence in children who play uncontrollably without any limits.
Some of the features of malicious games played on the digital platform are as follows:
· The child takes on the role of “killer” in the game.
· The number of “killed” characters is used as a success criterion.
· Violence or disrespect towards female characters is glorified.
· It desensitizes the player to killing.
· Slang and abusive language is used.
How to Choose Safe and Useful Mobile Apps and Games?
In today’s world, where educational tools are visualized and mobile applications are used effectively, it is necessary to take advantage of the blessings of technology. Instead of banning the tablet and phone completely, you can help your child with the conscious use of technological devices by setting a certain time limit with the useful applications you will install.
1. Application Age Range:Make sure the app is appropriate for your child’s age.
2. Content of the Application:Pay attention to the relevance of the content.
3. Permissions:Make sure that your personal information will not be shared with other people.
4. Antivirus Usage:It will warn you if the application is malicious software.
5. Advertising Content:Choose apps that do not contain ads, as ads may be inappropriate.
6. Category Selection: The category in which the application is located should appeal to your child’s needs.
7. Number of Downloads:Apps that many people download are at least one of the determining factors.
8. Evaluation Score: Applications with a score of 4 out of 5 and above can be preferred.
9. Remarks:Be sure to read the explanatory information about the game content at the bottom of the application.
10. Promotional Video:Watch the promotional videos at the top of the apps.
11. Comments:Read positive or negative user reviews under the apps.
DO NOT FORGET ; our children’s souls will grow with trust, love and play. As parents, we ourselves every day. “Did my child play enough today?”Let’s ask the question and create opportunities for our children to play in nature.