Dry mouth can lead to serious problems if left untreated. Insufficient work of salivary glands causes dry mouth (xerostomia) leads to Due to the insufficient amount of saliva, excessive accumulation of food and bacterial plaque may occur on the tooth surface.
This can cause tooth decay, gingivitis and nutritional disorders. In addition, nutritional disorders may occur as it causes dry mouth, difficulty in chewing and swallowing.
Dry mouth can occur as a side effect of radiotherapy and chemotherapy, with the use of drugs such as blood pressure, allergies, antidepressants, pain relievers.
Symptoms such as ongoing sore throat, burning in the tongue, frequent thirst, bad breath, difficulty in speaking, difficulty in using prostheses, taste disorder, cracking on the lips and lip edges cause dry mouth. (xerostomia)can point.
While insufficient amount of saliva leads to a decrease in some minerals such as calcium and phosphate in the salivary structure, the lack of these minerals can cause an increase in dental caries. For this reason, dry mouth should not be taken lightly and a dentist should be consulted.
Causes of dry mouth:
- Biological old age: An effective factor, not alone.
- Systemic diseases: Rheumatic diseases,
- immune system damage (AIDS), Hormonal disorders (sugar error),neurological disorders (Parkinson),
- Decreased chewing ability
- Surgical removal of salivary glands
- Radiotherapy (Radiation causes permanent damage to the salivary glands),
- Medicines (Over 400 types of drugs cause dry mouth: decongestants, diuretics, blood pressure medications, antidepressants, antihistamines),
- Caffeine and alcohol consumption.
Dry Mouth How to control dry mouth?
- Drink frequent sips of water. You should have liquid drinks and water with you when you go to bed at night,
- Sugar-free gum should be chewed,
- Avoid smoking, alcohol, sugary foods,
- The humidity of the living space should be adjusted,
- If necessary, artificial saliva tablets available from pharmacies should be used,
- Bacterial plaque should be controlled,
- Fluoride toothpaste, gel, mouthwash should be used,
- Vitamin C should be used.